Red shift/Blue shift
- When a star is moving away from the earth the wavelength increases and it looks reddish. This is red shift phenomenon.
- Blue light has a higher frequency of light compared to red light.
- "When a star moves toward you or earth the frequency of light will get higher and higher, and reach maximum when it is closest to you, then after it passes you, the frequency will get lower and lower. The star may not be necessarily pass the earth, so we will just sat "when a star is moving away from the earth the wavelength increases and it looks more reddish. This red shift phenomenon; when a star is moving closer to the earth it appears slightly blue and this blue shift phenomenon." -Matt Berry
- "Doppler effect generally is the change in frequency of a wave (majority sound) for an observer moving relative to the source of the wave." -unknown
Relationships with the Big Bang Theory
- If a galaxy is red-shifted, the distance between us and the galaxy is increasing. If it is blue-shifted, the distance is decreasing.
- "The Doppler effect shows that space shows that space is expanding. If we rewind this expansion to where we begin, we will end up in a point of singularity where the universe was focused into a single point" -Kenneth Y.